February 2018

HMRC Agent Update – Issue 64

HMRC has published the latest issue of its Agent Update. Highlights include articles about: Research & Development Tax Relief claims can now be made up until 30 April 2018 Taxpayers who know or suspect they have unpaid tax relating to overseas assets, income or activities need to act before 30 September 2018 Where’s My Reply? Find out when you can

Read more

Read more

Creative Skillset’s NEW Film Accounts Trainee Finder now recruiting

Applications from aspiring accountants to join industry-funded scheme accepted until 29 March 2018.  Creative Skillset, the skills body for the screen-based industries, has launched a new Film Accounts strand to its flagship Trainee Finder programme. Responding to industry demand for skilled accounts personnel, a bespoke programme has been created, in partnership with Production Guild, to identify and provide introductory training

Read more

Read more

HMRC Talking Points sessions – March 2018

HMRC’s regular Talking Points meetings provide ongoing information, guidance and tips, helping you to understand tax issues. Please find further details of future scheduled online meetings below: Agent Toolkits Consultation: HMRC’s toolkits Service Manager will be providing a live demonstration of the proposed new design for the agent toolkits and answering your questions to get your feedback on the look and

Read more

Read more

New IAB events announced

Further events have been arranged for 2018 covering a range of highly topical areas including the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Making Tax Digital. Please find more information about the events below: An Introduction to GDPR Date: Tuesday 27th March Time: 12 – 1:30pm Venue: Lancaster Room, Building 80, Churchill Square, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4YU. The IAB

Read more

Read more

The Crown could seize company assets worth millions

Thousands of private British companies who have failed to file their statutory financial statements with Companies House could see their assets claimed by the Crown, says accounting, tax and advisory practice Blick Rothenberg. Simon Rothenberg, a manager in the firm’s business group, said: “It appears that many firms that should have filed their accounts in September last year failed to

Read more

Read more

Thousands of scam texts halted

HMRC says it has stopped thousands of taxpayers receiving scam text messages. The revenue says 90% of the most convincing texts are now halted before they reach our phones (that still leaves 10%!). HMRC began a pilot in April 2017 to combat these messages. Its new technology identifies fraud texts with ‘tags’ that suggest it’s from HMRC and stops them

Read more

Read more

Insolvencies on the rise

The number of people who became insolvent jumped by 9.4% in 2017. In all, just under 100,00 (99,196) individuals were declared insolvent in England and Wales, up from 90,657 in 2016. The number of Individual Voluntary Arrangements (IVAs) rose to a record level of 59,220 – up 20% year-on-year. IVAs mean you avoid full-blown bankruptcy and protect an individual’s assets.

Read more

Read more

‘Flesh and blood’ wins over computer

A judge has warned HMRC that a tax official rather than a computer program should make assessments for any fines. The surprise judgement comes in the case of Khan Properties Limited, and there is real concern that this ruling could lead to a surge in successful appeals, costing the public purse millions of pounds in lost revenue. Khan Properties appealed

Read more

Read more

SFEDI and IOEE’s Celebrating Enterprise 2018 – Award nominations are now open!

SFEDI and IOEE are delighted to announce that the Celebrating Enterprise Awards 2018 nominations are officially open! The awards ceremony will be held in the Houses of Parliament, Westminster, on Wednesday 2 May 2018, bringing together key figures from the small business, enterprise and skills sector in the UK to celebrate and recognise the very best in enterprise learning and skills. With eight

Read more

Read more