Whether you are looking for your first job or looking to change career path, social media can be an excellent tool for searching for employment. It’s important to know how to make best use of your social media profiles in order to attract potential employers and land the job.
While Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn are the main social media channels there are also a number of other useful sites to make use of and having your own blog can also be a good idea to emphasise you interest and enthusiasm in your chosen sector.
No matter which social media platform you choose to use below are some useful tips to help you in your job search:
- Social media is an excellent platform for you to market yourself making it important to ensure your profile is complete and includes all the relevant information including career hopes, skills, qualifications, work experience etc. This will help you to stand out and appear in any relevant searches
- Follow or make connections with any individuals or companies which are of relevance to the job area in which you are looking to gain employment. By doing this you can keep up to date with any posts which are added and it is also a good opportunity to network with new individuals which could prove particularly useful in your job search. Job vacancies are more frequently being posted on social media so by following companies you can keep up-to-date with vacancies as soon as they are listed.
- Why not join or participate in any groups, or even create your own group. This will help to expand your network and raise your profile, as well as sharing or gaining tips and advice.
- Be careful about what you are posting on social media. Facebook’s security settings in particular are always changing so it’s a good idea to ensure only your friends and connections can view your profile. Also don’t post anything which you wouldn’t want a potential employer to view as this could affect your chances of gaining any jobs which you apply for.
- Posting or retweeting any news items relevant to your chosen sector is an excellent way to show any potential employers or important connections your interest and enthusiasm. HMRC, trade publications and the business sections of newspapers are just some of the profiles which are worthwhile following. Why not also consider asking on your social media channels if any of your connections are aware of any job vacancies. You could also post if you’re looking for any work experience. You may already know someone who can help you with your job search and who can point you in the right direction.
Comments are closed.