HMRC reminds self-employed of imminent deadline

Self-employed people who are preparing to submit a Self Assessment return for the first time must register by Friday 5 October, HMRC is warning. This means they can then complete their return by 31 January 2019.

If taxpayers aren’t sure if they need to do a Self Assessment return they should go to the Self Assessment page on GOV.UK. HMRC is providing online webchats, live webinars, YouTube videos and social media support for taxpayers, which can be accessed at any time, and on any device, to help them fill in and file their returns.

People need to complete a tax return for 2017 to 2018 if they:

  • earned more than £2,500 from renting out property.
  • or their partner received Child Benefit and either of them had an annual income of more than £50,000.
  • received more than £2,500 in other untaxed income, for example from tips or commission.
  • are self employed sole traders.
  • are limited company directors.
  • are shareholders.
  • are employees claiming expenses in excess of £2,500.
  • have an annual income over £100,000.

Angela MacDonald, Director General of Customer Services at HMRC, said: “January may seem a long time away, but if you’ve not done Self Assessment before and you’re now required to, you need to register.

“We know that some customers don’t always realise they need to do Self Assessment, like those who earn more than £50,000 and receive Child Benefit. It’s really easy to do and doesn’t take long. If you’re not sure if you need to do Self Assessment or not, go to GOV.UK and all the information you need is there.”


Leave A Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest News