Whether you run a bookkeeping business, or want to secure a position in an accountancy practice or local SME, the IAB is here for you. As a non-profit, member led organisation, you can count on us having your interests at heart.
And depending on your qualifications and experience, you can be part of an international network of members across 60 countries. There are three different grades of professional membership. These are:
- Associate (AIAB)
- Member (MIAB)
- Fellow (FIAB)
Be at the top of your profession – Registered Bookkeeper™
Fellow members may, in addition use the ultimate bookkeeping title – Registered Bookkeeper ™.
Fellow membership is a mark of professional excellence, a signal to employers and businesses that you are at the very top of your field.
As the highest grade of IAB membership, a Fellow is a special accolade as it:
- Symbolises your proven expertise and experience
- Gives you credibility as a Registered Bookkeeper™
- Enables you to use the letters FIAB after your name
And, of course – as with all levels of IAB membership – you can continue to enhance your skills through on-going professional development.
To find out which grade of membership you are eligible to apply for please click here.
Membership Application Process
The application process
To receive a copy of the application form for professional membership please contact the Membership Department: firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0)1732 897750. Once you have completed the application form please submit this to the IAB Head Office, which must include the following:
- The name & addresses of two referees (unless you have been advised otherwise)
- The correct application fees
- Certified copies of your qualification, unless they are IAB qualifications in which case please provide your IAB student number.
Once this has been received at the IAB Head Office the Membership Department will complete the following:
- Check through your application to confirm that it is correctly completed, with the correct fees and documentary evidence attached. If there is any issue we will contact you to advise you of what needs to be done in order for us to process your application.
- Begin processing the application by e-mail acknowledging receipt of your completed application and making contacting with your referees usually via e-mail unless only a postal address is supplied.
- Please note that your application fees are processed at this time, should the Membership Committee suggest an alternative grade of membership to that proposed by the Membership Department or indeed refuse an application the subscription fee is refunded accordingly. There is no refund for the administration/exemption fee.
- Should your application not progress within a month of beginning the application process the Membership Department will contact you to discuss how we can assist in moving your application forward to the next Membership Meeting.
Once the Membership Department has received back suitable replies from your referees, we will place your paperwork before our Membership Committee. The Membership Committee meet once a month to consider applications from members for a variety of requests such as transfers and re-instatements as well as new member applications.
Within two days of the Membership Meeting the Membership Department will contact you via e-mail or letter if there is no e-mail address to inform you of the Committees decision. Your Membership Certificate will follow within the next month. Should you change address within this time please remember to notify the IAB.