Develops candidates skills and underpinning in the use of commercially available payroll software to prepare payroll records, process the payroll and maintain accurate information
The qualification is made up of:
1 – Online Knowledge Test
1 – Examination
40 GLH (Guided Learning Hours)
100 hours TQT (Total Qualification Time)
Who is this qualification for?
- Those who have achieved the IAB Level 1 Award in Computerised Payroll, IAB Level 1 Award in Payroll or IAB Level 1 Award in Computerised Payroll for Business
- Those who are new to working in payroll but have some previous general knowledge of payroll procedures.
- Those who now wish to increase their skills and knowledge to that required of payroll processors in a computerised payroll environment, prior to employment.
- Those who wish to return to working in payroll and need to update their knowledge.
- Those who are already employed in payroll processing or allied roles and who wish to ensure that they have both a firm foundation and the knowledge and skills to perform some non-routine computerised payroll tasks.
- Those preparing for or undertaking an Apprenticeship in Payroll at Level 2.
Learners who are considering a career as a self-employed practitioner will find the course invaluable as a basis for completing day-to-day payroll processes, as will businesses owners who would like to be actively involved in the gathering and processing of payroll data and keeping of payroll records for their business. It is advisable for those offering a payroll service to also have the full underpinning knowledge of payroll calculations, practices and procedures
What you’ll study
Principles of computerised payroll legislation and processing – J/50/5782
- Understand data protection and data security legislation in relation to payroll
- Understand the general principles of legislation relating to processing the payroll
- Understand the information required to prepare an employee payroll record
- Understand what constitutes gross pay for different payroll periods
- Understand the principles of PAYE and NIC legislation and operation using commercially available computerised payroll software
- Understand the requirements for processing and submitting payroll information using commercially available payroll software
- Understand the procedures to adopt when dealing with a leaver
- Understand the Statutory additions and deductions from pay that can be made using commercially available payroll software
- Understand the need to complete period end payroll reports within a given timescale
Computerised Payroll Processing – H/508/5787
- Be able to set up and maintain company, pension and employee records using commercially available payroll software
- Be able to process payroll accurately for a variety of pay periods using organisational procedures and timescales
- Be able to produce statutory and non-statutory reports
- Be able to back up and restore data when required
How much will it cost?
For self-study students, (those studying without a training provider) The fee would be £105
This fee covers the following:
- Registration onto the qualification
- All IAB assessment fees (excluding re-sits)
- Certification upon successful completion of all assessments
- Free IAB student membership for 1 year (click here for a list of student benefits)
If you want to find out more about self study please click here
How is it assessed?
This qualification is made up of:
1 – Online Knowledge Test
Online Knowledge tests are a series of independent short answer questions made up of multiple choice, gap fill, and true or false type questions. They are assessed via IABOnline and are open book. This might be taken in class or at home
2 – Online Assignments
Online Assignments are also assessed via IABOnline and are also open book. These are taken in class or at home and are short case study type questions with several tasks for each case study
1 – Paper Examination
Paper Examinations these are assessed under examination conditions. There will be a scenario which will be worked through on a computerised payroll package. A series of printouts will be generated throughout the examination and at the end. These printouts will then be submitted back to the IAB via the exam centre.
Examinations can be taken in any month and on any day (subject to the examination centre). This means that you can move up through the levels quickly as well.
Examinations require a minimum of 5 weeks notice in the UK and 8 weeks for those outside of the UK, before the examination date. This allows us enough time to process the registrations and get the examination papers dispatched
Next steps after passing
- Level 3 Certificate in Computerised Payroll Administration 601/9048/6
- Level 3 Certificate in Payroll Administration 601/9047/4
- Apply for professional membership at the grade of Associate