The IAB Level 2 Certificate in Computerised Payroll for Business is made up of:
6 – Online Computerised Tests
3 – Assignments
Who is this qualification for?
- Individuals who are aspiring to become professional payroll administrators.
- Individuals who have achieved the IAB Level 1 Award in Computerised Payroll for Business or some of the units of this qualification
- Individuals who are already employed in payroll processing or allied roles and who wish to further their knowledge of computerised payroll using the Sage 50 payroll package.
What you’ll study
Fundamentals of employment legislation for payroll – F5051274 (level 2 – 2 credit)
- Know what payroll information is to be prepared and kept by law
- Understand data protection legislation in relation to payroll
- Know the general principles of employment rights legislation
Composition of an employee payroll record – Y5051233 (level 2 – 2 credits)
- Know the information required to set up a payroll record for a new employee
- Know how to complete a P11 deduction sheet or equivalent, for a new employee
- Know how to deal with income tax forms for a new employee
- Understand the procedure for aligning employer data with HMRC records
Elements of gross pay – K5051236 (level 2 – 2 credits)
- Understand what constitutes basic pay for different payroll periods
- Understand the principles of calculating overtime payments
- Know what constitutes gross pay from additional payments
- Understand the need and procedures to make temporary and permanent changes to rates of pay
Statutory and non-statutory payments and additions – M5051254 (level 2 – 3 credits)
- Understand the principles of the PAYE system.
- Understand the principles of the National Insurance system.
- Understand the principles of Student Loan deductions.
- Understand the principles of Statutory Sick Pay (SSP).
- Understand the principles of Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP).
- Understand the principles of Statutory Adoption Pay (SAP).
- Understand the principles of Statutory Paternity Pay (SPP and SPP(A)).
- Understand the principles of Attachment of Earnings Orders (AOE).
- Understand the need to complete period end payroll procedures
Termination of employment – F5051243 (level 2 – 1 credit)
- Understand what constitutes a leaver.
- Know the amendments to make to a leaver’s final pay
Calculate gross pay – H5051235 (level 2 – 3 credits)
- Be able to determine basic pay for different payroll periods
- Be able to calculate overtime payable from given information
- Be able to calculate additional payments from given information
- Be able to implement permanent changes to rates of pay from given organisational information
- Be able to implement relevant statutory additions to pay when entitlement has been determined
Computerised payroll theory – L5051276 (level 2 – 2 credits)
- Understand potential health and safety and security risks
- Maintain the security of data within a computerised environment
- Understand organisational procedures for processing payroll in a computerised environment
- Understand the statutory requirements for submitting information
Computerised payroll skills – Y5051278 (level 2 – 4 credits)
- Be able to process information on starters, leavers and changes to current employees
- Be able to process payroll accurately on a pay period basis
- Be able to back up and update systems when required
Spreadsheet software – F5024625 (level 2 – 4 credits)
- Use a spreadsheet to enter, edit and organise numerical and other data
- Select and use appropriate formulas and data analysis tools to meet requirements
- Select and use tools and techniques to present and format spreadsheet information
Learning Resources Available
The learner will also receive two workbooks that covers the full course. The workbook includes not only the practical work using Sage software, but also the underpinning payroll knowledge to cover the learning required for coverage of the knowledge units. There are an abundance of screen shots from the software, so they can see what processes they should be doing and how that relates to payroll processing.
NB – Students can register for this qualification without requesting the Sage disc and workbooks.
- Level 3 Certificate in Payroll Administration 601/9047/4
- Level 3 Certificate in Computerised Payroll Administration 601/9048/6
- Apply for professional membership at the grade of Associate